From Literacy Action:
Literacy Action, Inc. (LAI) seeks a dynamic, dedicated individual as a Deputy Director (DD). Reporting to – and working closely as a partner with – the Executive Director (ED), the DD will be a seasoned leader and coach, with the ability to operate on strategic, managerial, and hands-on levels and to help guide the organization across programmatic, and administrative functions.
The DD will bring proven nonprofit management expertise and experience in community-based programs, business development, advocacy/organizing, finance, operations, and/or other relevant disciplines. The DD must have a keen attention to detail, the ability to delegate effectively, a proven track record in motivating and unifying teams, and have solid organizational, problem-solving, and clear decision-making skills. The DD will be comfortable with and committed to fostering the development of staff.
The DD identifies opportunities and challenges and works across departments and teams to come up with highly innovative solutions. Three core teams will roll up to the DD’s supervision: Operations, Development and Programs. The DD’s work will serve to increase the effectiveness and impact of LAI’s services in the region.
The DD must demonstrate a highly focused social justice lens, excellent communications and relationship building skills, a deep belief in the power and potential of engaged communities, and the ability to promote a clear, inspirational vision for LAI’s next chapter.
Responsibilities: Together with the ED and Board of Trustees, the DD will develop a plan to share and allocate responsibility for key leadership tasks, including:
- Proactively identify internal opportunities and challenges and work with the ED to address them
- Manage key projects and special initiatives that relate to organizational growth
- Provide oversight of internal operations, including Human Resources, Finance, Legal, Governance, IT and Facilities Management
- HR priorities include development and implementation of effective recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, training, and professional development policies; sustaining an internal culture that promotes initiative, appropriate risk taking, learning, cooperation, equity, and mutual respect
- Financial priorities include budgeting, reporting, audits, and compliance, especially around government grants and accounting related to restricted funds
- Facilities priorities include developing a long-term space plan for the organization and implementing health and safety protocols in response to COVID-19
- IT priorities include evaluating LAI’s third party helpdesk vendor; the ability to support remote work arrangements; and the cybersecurity measures
- Provide high-level input to inform decisions the organization makes around both legal and financial risks, such as contracts and insurance policies
- Provide high-level input to inform staffing decisions related to growth, performance, and accountability
- Evaluation: Assist in improving and monitoring the organization’s performance reporting systems (including program and fundraising data); ensure successful adoption of Salesforce database; Contribute to the ongoing development of the database in tracking prospective funders as well as program outputs and outcomes
- Support two senior leaders in overseeing LAI’s program and development work
- Lead staff in long-term program planning, establishing outcomes and clear project plans
- Work with the senior leadership team to develop and evaluate program strategies and goals
- Work with external partners to harness resources for LAI including but not limited to opportunities for employment, enrichment opportunities and enhanced educational opportunities
Fundraising and External Relations
- Contribute to grant writing and reporting processes
- Represent LAI as appropriate with stakeholders, partners, and funders
- Engage in building donor relationships and lead fund development efforts
Supervision and Staff Management
- Provide coaching and training to push staff members to reach long-term professional goals
- Run Leadership team meetings
Click here to learn more and apply.
Click here to return to the MAX Job Board.