The Business and Finance Director will be responsible for taking on a leadership role in financial decision-making that affects the organization. The Director will be the primary staff liaison to the Finance and Administration Committee and will provide strategic financial input to senior management and the board of directors. The Director will lead and develop an internal team to support the following areas: financial management, business planning and budgeting, grants management, and administration. The Director will foster a positive work environment; ensure attainment of performance metrics; and plan, organize, and manage workflow, activities and the continuous quality improvement of business and finance functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements and variance analyses; collate financial reporting materials for all donor segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit and form 990 tax filing process, liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors; assess any changes necessary.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to, and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the Chief Executive Officer and board of directors.
- Manage financial controls and accounting procedures.
- Oversee payroll processing.
- Ensure accuracy of internal and external information
- Ensure compliance with laws and regulations including filing deadlines (audit report, form 990, Single Audit, etc.)
Business Planning and Budgeting
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
- Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Assist Program Directors and Managers with the preparation of budgets for funding applications.
- Evaluate, recommend, and implement technology to meet the organization’s financial data processing, control, and reporting requirements.
- Lead special projects as identified by the Board and/or the Chief Executive Officer
- Ensure the organization’s understanding and compliance with OMB Compliance Supplement
- Ensure the organization’s understanding and compliance with the requirements of Title 2 U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 200, Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (Uniform Guidance).
- Support Chief Executive Officer with initiatives to further develop the Organization’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, and training.
- Work with Center Director to establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff tools, policies, procedures, programs, and operations.
- Work closely and transparently with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants.
- Effectively collaborate with and translate financial concepts to programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
- Oversee the management of all leases, contracts, and other financial commitments.
- Monitor all legislation relevant to financial matters affecting the organization to ensure that the organization is compliant.
- Supervise, and develop finance staff and review all work performed.
- Perform annual performance reviews of finance staff and work with them to develop professional development plans.
Click here to learn more and apply.
Click here to review the MAX Job Board.